Old Dogs, New Settlement Tricks
Beth Savelli, Risk Manager, Swissport USA Inc.
Dan Anders, Chief Compliance Officer, Tower MSA Partners
Wednesday, Dec. 6 | 11 a.m. - 12: 15 p.m.
A successful settlement initiative requires analyzing cost drivers across legacy claims to
eliminate barriers to resolution, establish whether to settle immediately, or match cases with
optimal interventions, such as physician peer review, clinical oversight or legal action. Learn how
Swissport, an employer in a high-risk industry, initiated an aggressive settlement process, and
discover how you can adopt those lessons to create new claims management practices.
• Separate old-dog claims requiring intervention from those allowing
Understanding Injured Worker Perceptions About
• Recognize which strategies work best for specific cost drivers
• Recommend practices for preventing the formation of legacy claims
• Integrate a settlement mindset across the claims-management organization
Michele Adams, VP Risk Management Services, Walt Disney World Resort
John Ruser, President and CEO, Workers’ Compensation Research Institute
Wednesday, Dec. 6 | 2: 30 - 3: 45 p.m.
To comprehend key factors influencing claims development and injured worker recovery, the
Workers’ Compensation Research Institute interviewed claimants across several states during a
four-year period. Hear research-driven insight into injured worker experiences, and learn how to
develop programs that improve outcomes and the likelihood of returning injured workers to the
job. You’ll learn how the Walt Disney Co. used the research findings, along with its own claims
data, to uncover claims-management opportunities and drive return-to-work initiatives.
• Assess pivotal information for improving the injured worker experience
The Double Play-Process: A Blueprint for Closing Complex,
and claims resolutions
• Contrast predictors determining poor or improved claims outcomes
• Detect why some workers don’t return to work after recovering from injuries
• Summarize injured worker perceptions of workplace trust and
Barry D. Bloom, Principal, The bdb Group
Thursday, Dec. 7 | 10: 45 - 11: 45 a.m. • Repeated Thursday | 4: 15 - 5: 15 p.m.
Employers and other claims payers have reduced their costs by adopting the double-play
process, a hands-on, practical strategy for resolving difficult, high-value claims. Learn how this
process helps focus everyone involved in managing a claim so they have a clear understanding
of their responsibilities and the roles to be performed by others on the team. You’ll get a blueprint
for coordinating the forward movement necessary to resolve claims stemming from cumulative
trauma cases, severe back injuries, catastrophic accidents or any other exposures with challenging
• Manage high-exposure, litigated claims to a rapid and cost-effective closure
• Formulate the right collaborative team approach within and outside of
the claim shop
• Practice claim-process quality control based on empirical performance
• Recommend selection of the best-fit vendor partners
10 Register by Oct. 4 to SAVE $350.00; by Nov. 1 to SAVE $250.00!